April Showers Bring May Home Sales: Getting the Best Value during the Spring Real Estate Market
Spring is traditionally the time when the sales heat up in most real estate markets and the Fox Valley is no exception. Professionals in the real estate industry are reporting increasing numbers of qualified buyers and in some cases a shortage of homes for sale. If you are considering moving into a bigger home to meet the needs of your growing family or downsizing because you have more space than you use now is a great time to put your current home on the market. Here are some dirt-cheap tips to get the best price for your house.
- Pack up family photos and anything in your home with your name on it. You are going to need to pack them anyway because you are moving! Clearing out things like personal pictures and mementos will help buyers to visualize themselves in the space and not be distracted by photos of your family. You want buyers to be focusing on features of your house and not details of your personal life. Depersonalizing is a great way to make your home feel more spacious and like a model home.
- Declutter to help buyers see the “bones” of your house. This can be hard to do as we become emotionally attached to our “stuff” and it’s sometimes hard to see how much clutter has collected. Clear off shelves, countertops in the kitchen and bathroom, drawers, the garage, basement and attic. Maybe have a friend or family member go through the house with you and help to remove clutter to create open spaces. You can store the boxed-up items in a corner of the tidy garage or basement. If you have a lot of items to store it may be helpful to rent storage space.
- Neutralize with fresh paint color and arrange furniture to maximize the space. Think about how builders showcase model homes. The colored wall that coordinates beautifully with a comforter is wonderful but for showings you want the buyer to consider how they would decorate the space and not admire your choices.
- Scrub and deodorize- smelly and dirty are easily fixed. Put a shine on the place! Buyers often cannot see past an untidy home. You want to create an “I care” feeling in the house. Consider wiping down all cabinets, trim, washing the windows, sliding door tracks and ceiling fans, tubs and showers. Consider a professional deep clean if you are pressed for time. When you have a showing remove litter boxes and bring cinnamon sticks to a slow boil on the stove to freshen up the air.
- Don’t forget the outside of your house. Curb appeal makes a huge difference. Power wash the exterior, remove any outdoor clutter. Trim bushes and put out fresh mulch or grab a rake and turn over the mulch that is there. Having an attractive front entrance makes positive first impression. Buyers look around the front door while waiting to go inside the house and usually decide right then and there whether they want to see more.
Whether buying or selling Glenn & Daniels can assist you with the purchase or sale of your home. Don’t leave a transaction worth many thousands to guesswork. Make sure your interests are protected and give us a call at 920-749-2000.